Today I proudly present a new quest writer, another hard working member from the team behind Battle of Wisby – Anna.
I’m Anna. When I’m not busy with the Battle of Wisby email, trying as best as I can to answer all of your questions and filing applications, I’m making the odd extra garment for Visby. I’ve thought about this one for a long time, – a small, red woollen hood lined with fox fur.
I have a hood pattern that Maria gave me, for one of those super-tight hoods that you can barely slide back off your head while it is still buttoned. I have made several, but never lined one before, so this time I cut it a bit more generously to accommodate all the extra bulk.
Most of the time, I just buy random fabrics, like candy, and have no idea what they will be used for. The notion of a huge wool stash (and the knowledge that you have more material than you will probably have time to use up in a Very Long Time) is oddly pleasing, and most likely primeval too. This is my inner cavewoman sitting back with a sigh of relief, now that she knows she has enough of, eh, everything, to survive the winter…
Other projects you dream about long before you find the right materials, and my latest one is a bit of both – a small 14th century red woolen hood lined with fox fur. The red fabric I bought with this exact hood in mind. The fur comes from my mother’s old 70’s coat, which has long outlived its original use, but nevertheless has warmed me through a series of very cold winter LARPs back in the 1990s. The body of the coat will be trimmed down and used to line a dress – the sleeves were just large enough to be made into a hood lining.
Pinning facings into place took a million needles!
Here I’ve started to hide the fold around the face opening with an embroidered
braid made from yarn plant dyed with madder. Read more about this neat finishing technique in this blog post, or in my tutorial. Tip: when braiding, pin the work in progress to your pants to keep it in place in your lap while you’re working.
Read more about how to make your own buttons here! First I meant to use brass buttons to the hood. I bought a fistful of nice brass buttons at an event in Morimondo, Italy. But before I started to make holes that would accommodate the metal buttons, I realized they would not provide enough friction to keep the hood closed – there is a lot of strain on them since the hood is so tight. I ended up making ordinary cloth buttons instead.
Nine neat buttonholes along the edge in front. (For instructions on how to make buttonholes, see this post.
The option was “no liripipe” or “really fancy liripipe” so I went for the WTF alternative. There is no way I would turn a hideously narrow piece like this inside out, so I stitched it from the outside and just tightened the stitches a lot to make them disappear into the nap of the wool. It worked, sort of. My main problems right now it that a) all my other medieval clothing is a bit less presumptuous and won’t match the hood – I will have to make more stuff! And b) that the hood itself is so massive that I can’t hear a damn thing while wearing it.
Read more from Anna in her own blog – Jungfruburen! Thank you for your contribution Anna, and see you in Visby!